Kalahari

Kalahari

Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Love and the Land



When I actually stop to think about it, it makes me feel quite overwhelmed. Last year this time I was on the other side of the country in the sandy sweltering bowl of the Kalahari living a life so different from what I’m living now that I can scarcely believe I am still in the same country. When I close my eyes I can still see it…still feel it…the low rusting tin roof of my crumbling brick house…the dingy rug covering the cracked and uneven foundation…the heat of the early summer sun…the glare of the sand …my host mothers sweet round face smiling up at me…the fiery sunsets burning from one end of the horizon to the other…that familiar glow of the pale earth at dusk. It was my home…my whole life. It was a simple life, but at the same time a challenging life…the blistering heat and freezing cold of my un-insulated home, the scarcity of water and constant hauling to and fro of buckets, the constant treating of water and constant battle with pests. I can say, however, that both despite and because all of this I love my life there. I loved the place and the people and the land. I felt like I was one of them, among them, living their life the way they lived it. I couldn’t help but take pride in the humility of it all. I couldn’t help but be thankful every day for the experience. For, there is nothing more odious to my mind than being privileged, ungrateful, and blind to the plight of the “two-thirds world”—as it is often called in international political literature. Learning to understand this way of living and breaking free of any sense of entitlement or callousness to those who live in such, or even much worse circumstances was one of the greatest motivating factors for joining the Peace Corps at all. The struggle of life there was my motivation and inspiration every day. 



…But one day in late September I woke to find myself in this brave new world. It’s been a full two months, but I fear it hasn’t yet sunk in yet. I was there when it all happened…the displacement, the waiting, the anticipation and disappointments of the search for a new home, yet it still feels like a dream. A dream that passed in such a blur…a dream from which I have not yet woken. On the day Charlie brought me to Lorraine I remember feeling numb on the inside. The war within between feelings excitement and sadness was too much—and as is typical for me in such cases—they were forced back into some deep chasm of the heart from which they may, or may not ever emerge. It’s where all my dark feelings go. There, left untended, they haunt me from time to time, casting shadows on my heart at the oddest of moments. I just stared out the window the whole drive watching the scenery go by. It was so enormous and majestic. Everything lush and green, with mountains and valleys swelling and dipping as far the eye could see. This was a land of plenty. Endless acres of fruit trees lined the roads leading through Tzaneen and all along the stretch to the village the rocky mountain faces loomed large above the land scape. By now it has become a familiar sight. Just as the familiar rumble of tires on the bumpy gravel road to Bona Bona became the comforting sign that home was near, so too have the mountains of central Limpopo. I have learned to love those mountains. When the shadow of our local mountain appears on the horizon I have started to feel a similar sense of relief as I did when heading for my home in the desert. Yet there is still a long way to go. It is such a different world from what I’ve known. 


When I open my eyes in the radiance of the 5:30 am sun I still sometimes feel surprised by how high the ceiling is in my new home. More shocking is the fact that I’m sprawled diagonally across a bed from which my feet do NOT protrude. When I crawl out from under the mosquito net my feet touch a carpeted floor, and across from the bed I see my school things piled on a two person sofa. My tired feet shuffle out of the door and over to the bathroom…a REAL bathroom. It isn’t pretty: narrow with black tiles and toilet, basin, and bath in an ugly 70’s pea green. When I sit on the toilet I can easily rest my head on the sink—something my American and German friends would surely find obnoxious—but the remarkable thing is that there is a toilet at all—and indoors at that! Not to mention a basin and bath with running water! Gone are the days of bathing in buckets and storing water. Two months in it still feels like a miracle. I never imagined I’d feel that way about what, by American standards, is the ugliest most impractical bathroom imaginable, but life in the Kalahari has changed me. It is needless to say that my new family is rather well off. I live in 1 ½ rooms of their old 3 room house, adjacent to the main house. Yet it is almost the size of my old host mother Ma T’s, main house. This families main house is far more luxurious…it feels like any home in America, complete to coffee maker, treadmill, and flat screen TV. I almost cried when Mel first took me to see the house. Not only it the house itself remarkably comfortable but also the yard that surrounds it. The courtyard is beautifully paved and is swept and scrubbed daily by the cleaning lady. The lawn surrounding the courtyard is beautifully landscaped, with vibrant green hedges trimmed and shaped to perfection, throngs of palms, cycads, rose bushes and other assorted tropical plants. To the back is a vegetable garden and throngs of mango and banana trees. It is like a small paradise in every way. Just outside of the compound walls the local mountain seems close enough to touch. I could hardly imagine a more beautiful place to live. Added to this is the amazingness of my new family. A husband and wife in their 40’s with 4 children. Both are employed as teachers and are caring and ambitious people who run multiple small businesses in addition to their teaching careers. They are well educated, as are their four children ages 7 to 23. They have shown me such kindness and hospitality. Already I feel very close to them. 

Amidst all of the beauty and my growing affection for this new place and its people, however, I still sometimes feel a pinch of guilt; a small bit of pain at the thought that once again I am living among the privileged.  When I see the large, succulent dark green leaves of the spinach growing in our garden, I remember how Ma T struggled and scratched in the Kalahari sands for months just to coax out a few considerably less impressive heads of spinach.  When I turn on the pipe to fill my bath tub I think of all the children of Bona Bona carting buckets of salty water from the tap to their homes across the village. And I can’t help but wonder what my neighbors think of me. I am already apt to be seen as the “rich American” by those around me, but to live with a well-to-do-family only furthers that image and may give the impression that I only associate with such people…that I think myself above them. Whenever I drive past the kids walking barefoot to school in one or the other of my mom’s cars, I feel the pinch. Of course this could all be hyperactive American cultural sensitivity at work, but it worries me none the less. Guilt of this kind is a common part of the Peace Corps experience and I suppose it will never go away. In Bona Bona at least, it was less acute than now. Yet I also realize that even people here who are struggling have things much easier than the people of Bona Bona; They can grow food for one, they are also close to town and transport is readily available and most importantly there are businesses and an opportunities to make some sort of living. In truth Lorraine is more of a town than a village. It is at least 20 times the size of Bona Bona and far less rural. It is remarkable what a difference location can make. It is remarkable that two so drastically different ways of life coexist…but this is the defining reality of life in South Africa.  

Given the circumstances, starting over in Lorraine hasn’t been all too difficult compared to adjusting to life in Bona Bona. I am in a much more comfortable living situation and much better prepared for the challenges of village and school life. Furthermore, I can admit that despite the pain of separation, I have always secretly wanted to live in the Limpopo province. It is what I desired most at the beginning. And it is all rather incredible that, through a unfortunate turn of fate that fancy of mine has now become a solid reality. It is strange how things work out sometimes. Sometimes at the morning assembly I just stand outside of the principal’s office and take in the sight…the learners all huddled in the middle of the school yard—a swarm of blue and grey; the rows of rusty colored brick classrooms neatly aligned on a balding patch of earth; above, the dark shapes of the mountain peaks to the west. It is a particularly impressive sight on partly cloudy days, when patches of sun accent the greenery on the mountain side and the cumulus clouds in an electric blue sky lay on the summits like a blanket. Added to the scene are the voices of children singing their morning choruses and saying their prayers before heading to class. Morning assembly is a scene that has become so normal to me it hardly strikes me as unusual anymore, though it is something that would never happen in an American school—particularly not the praying part. Here it is standard and sometimes, if I close my eyes I can imagine I’m at assembly at my old elementary school in Bona Bona, with all of my old students. I can still see their faces in my mind. 
 
It has been decided that I will work almost exclusively in the primary school for the remainder of my time in country. As was the case last year, I have begun my work here in the fourth school term. It is always a rather chaotic time of year in which schedules and structures maintained throughout the year seem to speedily disintegrate. I’ve earned enough by now, however, to know how to cope with the chaos. I’ve devoted myself to teaching grade 6 and grade 3 English. I’ve been taking full advantage of the extra class time created by preoccupied and overburdened teachers who cut class periods in order to catch up on marking and paperwork. It has given me much needed “quality time” with the students, getting to know them and what they need the most help with. Making the shift from an elementary school with 200 learners to one with 800+ learners has required some serious adjustment on my part. With grade 6 being a class of almost 100 learners we got off to a rough start, but by the 3rd week of teaching I really felt I was getting the hang of it. I feel optimistic about the coming year. I feel optimistic about the plans now coming together in my mind and the relationships I’ve been forming with my family and colleagues. I feel optimistic about the potential of this place and its people. One thing is certain in this life: sometimes we lose things we love. But it is equally true that sometimes, we must let go of what we love to receive what we need…or an even greater love that what we’ve known.

No comments:

Post a Comment