Kalahari

Kalahari

Thursday 5 January 2012

Welcome to the Kalahari

It has been some months now since my adventure in the Kalahari began and for most of that time i have resisted the notion of starting a blog. After experiencing the ups and downs, glory and frustrations of life here and already learning so much, i thought it would be unfair not to share all of these things with everyone. So alas...i have succumbed to peer pressure and have started this blog.
Being that this is my first entry it would be suitable to start the a brief introduction to my life here in South Africa. Since September 2011 I've been working in a small and very remote town on the border of the Kalahari desert called Bona-Bona--A name which literally translated means "see-see." At first glance one might think there is not much to see here...just sand, thorn bushes and low tin-roofed houses scattered across the desolate terrain. The more time here i spend however, the more i begin to really "see" Bona-Bona. The beauty in what some consider ugliness; the graciousness of the people, the glory of a simple life.

Some highlights include: The smiles of the school children who seek every opportunity to burst into song and dance and follow me around town simply because it pleases them to do so...the magic of the evening soccer match most week nights when boys ages 12 to 20 gather at sunset--most without even shoes--and play with all their hearts, moving like mysterious shadows in a shroud of glowing dust...the breath taking night sky with more stars than I've ever seen in my suburban life and midnights that resemble midday when there's a full moon...and that moment just after sundown when the white sands of Bona-Bona seems to glow blue. This blog will be the catalogue of all the things i learn and new perspectives i gain during my time in this village so far removed from anything I've ever known. I hope you'll keep up and share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment